G-Cloud is a central initiative provided by the Information Technology Authority to set the Infrastructure needed to build the eServices and, ultimately, the eGovernment of Oman. The G-cloud aims mainly to:
- Provide shared infrastructure to government entities to host their infrastructure, platform, applications and services.
- Ensure the automatic, dynamic provisioning of resources to government entities.
- Share knowledge on Open Source development to Omani employees.
The G-Cloud provides many services within four main levels, which are:
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS): provides storage, networks and other fundamental computing resources to the government entities to deploy and run arbitrary software, which can include operating systems and applications.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS): enables the government entities to deploy acquired applications created using services and tools supported by the provider.
- Software as a Service (SaaS): assists the government entities in using the provider’s applications running on a cloud infrastructure.
- Business Process as a Service (BPaaS): includes any business process delivered as a service through cloud solutions.
It is worth mentioning that ITA G-Cloud is operated through a user-friendly web portal, which is based on the open-source framework and integrated with Oman PKI and People Hub.
G-cloud got an international recognition at GITEX 2014 when it earned the Best Virtualization Solution Implementation Award in Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
Source: Information Technology Authority