Request for Proposals/ Tenders
The Tender Board was established in 1972 to handle all government procurements and projects, with the exception of entities not subject to Tender Law or any other law. Projects below 1000,000 OMR can be awarded through the ministry’s Internal Procurement Committee. Projects above that amount must be floated and awarded through the Tender Board.
A Tender can be:
- General (also called Open Tender): General tenders are announced to all companies. It can be local or international.
- Limited: Local companies must have a valid Tender Board registration. International companies participating in this tender must complete all registration formalities within a month of awarding a contract.
The core function of the Tender Board is to organize the tendering process which includes:
- Registering the companies to participate in a tender.
- Reviewing the tender documents received from the ministries to be floated.
- Floating the tender and selling the documents to qualified companies.
- Publishing the tenders on the tender website https://etendering.tenderboard.gov.om, in local newspapers, radio & T.V, international magazines, SMS & IVR.
- Checking the evaluation report received from the ministries.
- Sending the recommendation report to the Tender Board committee for awarding of the tender.
For more information, see the Doing Business with the Government section on the Portal.
Moreover, the committee has the right to restrict the contractor or the consultation office from dealing with the institution subject to the provisions of Tender Law, during a period determined as may be necessary for each case:
- If provided incorrect information.
- If applied any illegal means to win the contract.
- If did not commit to the conditions of any previous contract with any other entity subject to the Tender Law.
- This shows the preventive measures that Tender Board adopted to keep transparency in dealing with tenders and detect fraudulent use and bribery.
E-Tendering As part of the eOman initiative, ITA and Government Tender Board established E-Tendering system to facilitate the e-buying services, whereby announcement of tenders is now available electronically. The primary goal of eTendering is to establish a centralized state of the art procurement management system & processes. This will help in achieving higher efficiency and will also enhance elements of transparency and accuracy in government procurement process with considerable cost-savings.
In this regards, ITA has also contributed in providing consultation services in developing and implementing programs. It worked with Tender Board to list the suitable applications and techniques for Government procurements.
For more details, please see E-Tendering page.